Amitriptyline tablets belong to a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), used in the treatment of symptoms of mental depression, including anxiety. Elavil is thought to improve mood by raising the level of neurotransmitters (the brain messenger chemicals norepinephrine and serotonin) thereby improving anxiety with its sedative effects. Side effects of amitriptyline include dry mouth, mild drowsiness, photosensitivity, urinary retention, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and confusion. It should be taken at night due to its sedative effects. It may take up to two to three weeks to take effect.
Original uses (on-label)
Newly discovered uses (off-label)
Chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic nausea and vomiting, chronic neuropathic pain, diabetic neuropathy, dyspepsia, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine prevention, multiple sclerosis, panic disorder, post-herpetic neuralgia, post-traumatic stress disorder, pruritus, urticaria, vulvodynia.
Potential side effects
Sudden drop in blood pressure upon standing from a sitting or lying down position, increased heart rate, changes in heart rhythm, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, sedation, allergic rash, hives, photosensitivity reaction (skin reaction related to sun exposure), loss of hair, weight gain, dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, various blood abnormalities, blurred vision, pupil widening, ocular pressure increase, ringing in the ears, numbness, tremor, sweating, withdrawal reactions.
- Do not use if you have been taking an MAO inhibitor such as phenelzine, tranylcypromine, or isocarboxazid within the past 14 days. When used with MAO-I’s, fever, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, confusion, seizures, and deaths have been reported.
- Do not use this drug immediately after a heart attack.
- This drug can cause sedation, which may impair performance of tasks requiring alertness. Sedative effects may be additive with other drugs that cause similar effects.
- If you're planning to buy amitriptyline online, please remember that this drug may worsen psychosis or mania in patients with bipolar disease.
- Stop therapy with doctor permission and according to instructions (gradual taper) prior to elective surgery.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this medication; instead, taper gradually.
- Before buying Amitriptyline, notify your doctor if you have low blood pressure, as this drug can cause low blood pressure episodes.
- Use with caution if you have urinary retention, history of cardiac disease, seizure disorders, diabetes, benign prostatic hyperplasia, narrow angle glaucoma, dry mouth, visual problems, constipation, or a history of bowel obstruction.
- The possibility of suicide attempt may persist until remission occurs.
- Use with caution if you have hyperthyroid disorder or if you are receiving thyroid supplementation.
- Use with caution if you have liver or kidney dysfunction, or if you are elderly.
MAO inhibitors (e.g., phenelzine, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazid), ritonavir, bupropion
, amphetamines, anticholinergics, sedatives, chlorpropamide, tolazamide, warfarin, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, citalopram, escitalopram
, sertraline, cimetidine, carbamazepine, haloperidol, smoking, methylphenidate, valproic acid, clonidine, venlafaxine, protease inhibitors, quinidine, diltiazem, verapamil, lithium, phenothiazines, drugs which prolong QT interval.
Valerian, St. John’s wort, kava kava, gotu kola
Pregnancy and breast-feeding cautions
FDA Pregnancy Risk Category C. This drug is excreted in the breast milk; breast-feeding is not recommended during therapy.
Buy Amitriptyline online
Where can I buy Amitriptyline without prescription?
Elavil antidepressant is a prescription drug that comes in 10 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg tablets.
It is available on prescription only as tablets for oral use, but the online pharmacy, will sell Elavil without prescription.
You may be able to order Amitriptyline from them online and save the local pharmacy markup.
May take four to six weeks for you to experience the full therapeutic effects. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight, and wear sunscreen.
Treatment of multiple sclerosis
You can order amitriptyline to treat MS. Multiple Sclerosis patients may suffer neuropathic pain — pain that arises from nerve dysfunction, not a result of direct injury.
Painful paresthesias (burning sensations, pins and needles, and stabbing pains) are caused by damage to the regulating pathways of the brain and spinal cord. This type of pain has also been treated with amitriptyline. Other off-label uses of this drug include migraine prevention, tension headache prevention, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, and trigeminal neuralgia (a facial nerve disorder). TCAs should not be used in combination with another type of antidepressant called MAO inhibitors.
What is Amitriptyline?
Increases concentration of serotonin and/or norepinephrine in the central nervous system, which may alter mood and other symptoms.
Brands & Classes
Elavil, Endep, Amitone, Amit, Amitryn
Dibenzocycloheptene derivative; tertiary amine.
Antidepressant, tricyclic; antineurolgic; anxiolytic, anti-migraine.
Tablets - Oral 10 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg.
PO 50-100 mg hs, may increase to 200 mg/day, not to exceed 300 mg/day (chronic pain doses usually at lower end of range).
Adolescent / Geriatric
PO 30 mg/day in divided doses, may be increased to 150 mg/day.
Chronic pain management: PO 0.1 mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses initially, advance as tolerated over 2-3 weeks to 0.5-2 mg/kg qhs.
Depression: PO 1 mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses initially with increases to 1.5 mg/kg/day.