Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that belongs to a class of drugs known as penicillins. It stops the growth and multiplication of bacteria by preventing the formation of bacterial cell walls. Efficacy of amoxicillin has been demonstrated among bacteria such as E. Coli and streptococci. This antibiotic is often used in middle ear, tonsil, throat, urinary, skin, and respiratory bacterial infections. Oral Amoxil is considered, along with some other antibiotics (doxycycline, cefuroxime), as first-line treatment for the early stages of Lyme disease.
Various bacterial infections.
Hyperactivity, agitation, anxiety, insomnia, mild to severe, including some life-threatening rashes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhagic colitis, various blood disorders, abnormal tests that monitor liver function, jaundice, crystals in the urine.
- Before initiating therapy, inform your physician if you are allergic to cephalosporins or penicillins. This drug should be used with caution if you are allergic to cephalosporins, as cross-sensitivity among penicillins and cephalosporins can occur. Discontinue and inform your physician if allergic reaction to penicillin occurs.
- Dose and/or frequency of administration should be adjusted if you have kidney impairment.
- This drug may cause oral contraceptives to become ineffective.
- Amoxil chewable tablets contain phenylalanine. Prolonged use of antibiotics may result in super-infection, resistance.
Disulfiram, probenecid, warfarin, methotrexate, tetracyclines, chloramphenicol. If you are taking oral contraceptives, consult with pharmacist or doctor.
FDA Pregnancy Risk Category B. This drug is excreted in breast milk. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers this drug compatible with breast-feeding.
- Patients who order amoxicillin online need to know, that Amoxil caps may be opened and contents taken with fluids.
- Drug must be taken in equal intervals around the clock to maintain blood levels; take on empty stomach with a full glass of water.
- A high percentage of people with infectious mononucleosis have developed rashes during therapy with this drug.
Amoxil is a prescription drug that comes in 250 mg, 500 mg capsules. It is available on prescription only as capsules for oral use, but the online pharmacy, will sell Amoxil without prescription. You may be able to order Amoxicillin from them online and save the local pharmacy markup.
In a study conducted by Japanese researchers, seven Ixodes persulcatus (a microorganism) strains were susceptible to antibiotics, including Amoxil. Additionally, Amoxil in this analysis provided good protection against borreliosis in mice; and higher doses of the drug eliminated Lyme disease from all mice receiving the drug. In children with early Lyme disease, researchers compared amoxicillin with cefuroxime axetil (a broad-spectrum antibiotic) and found that both treatments were safe and effective.
Amoxicillin capsules inhibit the production of the bacterial cell wall.
Penicillin derivative, aminopenicillin
Capsules - Oral 250 mg, 500 mg.
Systemic infections: PO 250-500 mg every 8 hours or PO 875 mg q12h.
Gonorrhea: PO 3 gm given with 1 gm probenecid as a single dose (not first line); follow with doxycycline.
Bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis: PO 3 gm 1 hour before procedure, then 1.5 gm 6 hour after initial dose.
Otitis media: PO 80-90 mg/kg/day divided every 8-12 hours.
Systemic infections: PO 20-40 mg/kg/day in divided doses every 8 hours or 25-45 mg/kg/day in divided doses q12h.
Bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis: PO 50 mg/kg x 1 (max 2 gm dose).