- Avoid any activities that could cause you to injure yourself during attacks.
- Vigorous physical activity at first symptoms may abort attack.
- During clusters, avoid alcohol as it can precipitate attack.
- Rarely, specific foods (chocolate, eggs, dairy products) trigger attacks.
What might complicate it?
Overuse of pain medicines can result in their becoming ineffective. There is a risk of drug addition.
The outcome is variable. Headaches may be well managed medically, or they may resist treatment. Headaches may come and go in cycles.
Migraine headache, rebound headache, and temporal arteritis are other possibilities.
Seek Medical Attention
- You or a family member has symptoms of cluster headache.
- Attacks continue after treatment is started.
Last updated 4 July 2015