Health Topics beginning with "M"
- Malaria - is an acute infectious disease transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito.
- Marijuana - is the most widely abused illicit drug in the US and it also tends to be the first illegal drug used by most people.
- Meniere's Disease - increased fluid in the inner ear's semicircular canals, which help maintain balance.
- Meningitis - is inflammation of the membranes covering the spinal cord and brain.
- Menopause - the permanent cessation of menstruation.
- Menstrual disorders - are irregularities or abnormalities of the menstrual cycle.
- Mononucleosis, Infectious - an infectious viral disease that affects the respiratory system, liver and lymphatic system. It usually affects adolescents and young adults (12 to 40 years).
- Motion Sickness - An unpleasant, temporary disturbance that occurs while traveling, characterized by dizziness and stomach upset.
- Multiple myeloma - a malignancy beginning in the plasma cells of the bone marrow.
- Multiple sclerosis - a chronic disorder affecting many nervous-system functions.
- Muscle Spasm - is the uncontrollable cramp of one or more muscles.
- Myalgia and Myositis - mean muscle pain or aching, muscle inflammation.
- Myasthenia gravis - disorder of muscles, especially of the face and head, with increasing fatigue and weakness as muscles are used.
- Mycosis fungoides - is a type of lymphoma or cancer of the immune system.
- Myocardial infarction - Death of heart-muscle cells from reduced or obstructed blood flow through the coronary arteries.
- Malabsorption - The inability of the intestines to adequately or efficiently absorb nutrients from food as it travels through the digestive tract.
- Marfan syndrome - A rare genetic connective tissue disorder that affects the formation and functioning of the heart, blood vessels, lungs, kidneys, eyes and skeleton.
- Measles - A highly contagious viral illness marked by fever, cough, conjunctivitis (irritation in eye membranes) and rash that tends to affect children.
- Melanoma - A form of skin cancer that begins in the cells that produce pigment. Melanoma usually begins in a mole.
- Menorrhagia - Unusually heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding that occurs at regular intervals. It is the most common type of abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Mental retardation - A reduced mental capacity generally defined as an intelligence quotient of 70 or below.
- Miscarriage - Unplanned termination of a pregnancy before viability of the fetus. It often occurs when the fetus is developing abnormally.
- Mitral valve prolapse - A condition in which the flaps of the mitral valve (located between the left atrium and left ventricle) are too large and cannot close properly.
- Molluscum contagiosum - Small, harmless growths caused by a skin virus that resemble pimples. They are contagious and are spread by physical contact.
- Morning sickness during pregnancy - Nausea, vomiting and other symptoms experienced by many pregnant women, especially during the first trimester.
- Muscular dystrophy - A genetic muscular disorder characterized by weakness and deterioration of muscle tissue.
- Myocarditis - A rare and potentially life-threatening inflammation of the cardiac muscle that could cause heart failure. Myocarditis can be cause by a viral infection.
Drugs starting with M
- Metronidazole - is used to treat trichomonal vaginitis (a sexually transmitted protozoal infection of the vagina) and bacterial vaginitis.
- Minocycline - belongs to a class of drugs known as tetracycline antibiotics.
- Misoprostol - is given in combination with NSAIDs to avoid the gastrointestinal problems that these drugs can cause.
- Montelukast - is used for long-term prevention of asthma.
©2007-2012. Nmihi.com All rights reserved. This site is for information and support only.