Health Topics beginning with "T"
- Tachycardia, paroxysmal supraventricular - is a disturbance of the normal heart rhythm.
- Tachycardia, ventricular - is a serious arrhythmia in which the heartbeat is initiated in the ventricles rather than from the sinoatrial node in the right atrium.
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome - pain and inflammation in the temporomandibular joint (the joint on either side of the jaw that opens and closes the mouth) and adjoining muscles.
- Thrombocytopenia, idiopathic - is characterized by a low platelet count with no apparent underlying cause.
- Thrombosis and embolus, arterial - Blood-clot formation in an artery (thrombosis) that may travel to distant organs (embolus).
- Thyroiditis - inflammation of the thyroid gland.
- Tinea - is a skin infection caused by several different kinds of fungus.
- Tinnitus - a persistent sound heard in one or both ears when there is no environmental noise.
- Tonsillitis - Inflammation of the tonsils (lymph glands located at the back of the throat).
- Torticollis - contracted neck muscles or chronic neck muscle spasm that causes the head to turn and bend.
- Tourette Disorder - is a neurological disorder characterized by tics.
- Toxoplasmosis - a protozoan infection found in humans and many species of mammals and birds.
- Transient ischemic attack - a temporary decrease in the blood supply to part of the brain.
- Tremor - is an involuntary, regular, rhythmic oscillatory movement resulting from alternating contractions of antagonistic muscles.
- Trigeminal neuralgia - A nerve condition that causes episodes of severe facial pain.
- Tuberculosis - an acute or chronic contagious, bacterial infection.
- Tularemia - is a bacterial infection that is caused by transmission from wild animals to humans.
- Typhoid fever - A bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract. It can affect all ages, but infants and persons over 60 usually have the severest cases.
- Tapeworm - A type of flatworm parasite that can infect humans. Most cases of human infection are caused by pork, beef, dwarf or fish tapeworms.
- Tay-sachs disease - A degenerative genetic disorder that affects the brain and nervous system. It is typically fatal by the age of 5 years.
- Tear Duct Obstruction - The tear ducts of many infants are blocked due to an immature tear-duct system. In most cases, this improves by the age of 1 year.
- Teething - The process by which the teeth of an infant emerge through the gums.
- Tendinitis and tenosynovitis - Inflammation of a tendon, the material that attaches muscle to bone. It is a type of soft tissue condition that can lead to pain and swelling in the affected area.
- Testicular cancer - Cancer in one or both testicles that usually occurs in young men. This is a very curable type of cancer with a 90 percent cure-rate.
- Tetanus - A dangerous and difficult to treat bacterial infection that causes muscles, mainly in the neck and jaw, to spasm and rigidly contract.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - The general term for a type of chronic diseases caused by the compression or stretching of nerves and blood vessels running between the neck and shoulder.
- Thrush - A yeast infection of the mouth characterized by whitish patches on the corners of the mouth, insides of the cheeks, tongue, palate and throat.
- Thumb sucking - It is common and generally considered harmless for very small children to suck their thumbs.
- Thyroid nodule - Usually benign growths of cells that form a lump on the thyroid glands. Some nodules disappear on their own.
- Tinea versicolor - A common and benign fungal infection of the skin characterized by discolored patches of skin on the chest and back.
- Toxemia of pregnancy - Complication of pregnancy characterized by high blood pressure, excessive levels of protein in the blood, headaches and swelling. It may escalate to eclampsia.
- Toxic shock syndrome (tss) - A rare but serious bacterial infection that releases toxins into the body.
- Trench mouth - A painful gum infection that can cause fever or fatigue. It involves an overgrowth of mouth bacteria that may be triggered by poor oral hygiene, extreme stress and lack of sleep.
- Trichinosis - An illness caused by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with the larvae of the worm species Trichinella.
Drugs starting with T
- Tadalafil - is used to treat impotence or erectile dysfunction.
- Terbinafine - is used for the treatment of fungal infections of the skin, scalp, or nails.
©2007-2012. Nmihi.com All rights reserved. This site is for information and support only.